Hair straightening and hair smoothening are almost similar. Both are used to treat curly and wavy hair. No doubt that curly and wavy hair looks very beautiful but one fact also remains the same is that it gets very difficult to maintain them always. It requires a lot of effort in comparison to the maintenance of straight hair. Also. Straight hair looks beautiful without doing much effort. Both, straightening and smoothening results in sleeker and smoother hair. First, this method was discovered to transform the hair structure and was first time used on African hair. Once people realized the amazing method of treating hair this became a trend so quickly. And now, interestingly people are taking this treatment in a large number and loving it. Having any new treatment on hair brings a lot of changes for you. So before you take any decision regarding that, you must be aware of all the pros and cons of it. Here we have listed the difference between hair straightening and hair smoothening for you along with their respective advantages and disadvantages.
What is hair smoothening?
Hair smoothening is the chemical process involving chemicals like formaldehyde solution which helps in saturating the hair strands. After applying the smoothening cream an iron is used to flatten it. This whole procedure removes the dryness and frizz from hair and smoothens it. Some of the in-salon methods used for smoothening are
- Blow drying- If you need a quick touch-up to your hair for a party then this would be your go-to thing to do your hair.
- Straightening- Temporary straightening is usually done with a flat iron or straightening rod. Usually, this lasts for a day or so.
- Keratin treatment:- keratin is a hair protein that gives strength to the hair. Keratin treatments are classified as a Brazilian blowout, keratin treatment, and cysteine treatment.
The above listed are some of the most common hair smoothening treatments which can choose to do regularly and frequently according to your convenience. Smoothening repairs the breakage of hair and makes it damage-free.
Advantages of hair smoothening
- Hair can be both wavy or straight as you wish but will look smooth always.
- Doing highlights will not be the fear for you now as you can smoothen it afterward.
- Even if you do not like straight hair anymore, the treatment is going to last for 3 months only.
- If applied over the color, it can make the highlights to retain longer.
- Hair is shinier due to smooth cuticles and you won’t need to put much effort to maintain your hair.
Disadvantages of hair smoothening
- You cannot have extremely light highlights as the hair will melt.
- You are changing the whole being of hair type and hence bothering natural things so it won’t last long and is going to harm the natural health.
- Excess relaxing or overlapping the relaxer on previously relaxed hair can cause extreme damage and dry to the hair and scalp.
- Sometimes these treatments contribute to the thinning of hair.
- It does not last for so long and hence the time and money that you might have spent on it is not always worth it.
- After this treatment, you cannot be careless towards your hair. Although it reduces efforts of maintaining it increases the efforts for taking care. Whenever you are exposed to sunlight or in the dust, you should have your hair covered.
What is hair straightening?
Permanent straightening of hair is another chemical process for straightening your hair. You may have super curly hair or beautiful wavy hair but your love for straight smooth hair is something else. That can be fulfilled with artificially straightening hair. The treatments like these can last as long as a year or shorter than a month or two.
At-home treatments are also popular but they usually do not last long. There are so many types of treatments of straightening. Some of them are thermal straightening, Semi-permanent hair straightening, at home perms, or professional permanent straightening. Mostly, all straightening methods use similar strategies. The chemicals which are used in the process change the whole configuration of the protein that is found in hair. After that, a neutralizer is applied with thermal straightening procedures. This neutralizer causes the hair to lock for it’s new changed configuration. Well, it is not an instant procedure. It takes some hours to infuse the chemicals totally into your hair. And then applying a neutralizer and drying comes after that.
Advantages of hair straightening
- Even if it takes a bit more time, but it is one of the cheapest and easiest methods for treating your hair.
- Not very frequent treatments are required regarding the straightening as on average it takes 6 months for it to get normalized.
- It also nourishes and conditions the hair along with straightening it.
- Many people love sleek and simple hair and this treatment provides them that.
- Once you have straight hair you are entitled to the least maintenance for them.
Disadvantages of hair straightening
- Hair fall can be counted as one of the major disadvantages of hair straightening. You imagine your beautiful hair after straightening and then you have hair-fall in return. Non-negotiable right?
- Usage of harsh chemicals reduces hair growth. Sometimes they use cheap and low-quality products on your hair to save money but you should take care and have supervision on what they are using to reduce the chances of hair damage.
- Also, it causes etching in the scalp or sometimes even in the eyes because of the strong chemical usage.
- The straightening does not last long if someone chooses to expose their hair and go out in sunlight anytime. After washing hair a few times the effect gets washed away and the time and money spent goes in vain.
Everyone loves smooth hair. It not only adds up to your beauty but also makes you feel more beautiful and better about yourself. To some, it comes naturally while others choose to use these chemical methods to bring their hair in that form. It is very necessary to be aware of all the possibilities after and before taking any treatment and especially when it concerns an important part like your hair.
There are two methods that we have seen. Either it is done through the chemical application or by the help of heated flat iron. Latter results in the temporary straight hair and the former in permanent that may last up to 3 to 4 months.
Although these treatments challenge to change the natural configuration of your hair one things also remain constant that nature is the best provider and god is the ultimate creator and the best designer!